Definition of a Birth Doula:
At International Doula Institute we define a birth doula as a professional support person trained in the needs of the family during pregnancy and childbirth. The doula offers non-judgmental support, guidance, evidence-based education and practical hands-on support during childbirth including comfort measures. Doula originates from the Greek word meaning woman servant. A birth doula recognizes the profound impact of childbirth on the mother.
The birth doula does not provide medical care, clinical tasks such a cervical checks or fetal heart tones and does not speak on behalf of the client.
The Professional Certified Birth Doula is trained in 5 Core Competencies:
- Physiology of Childbirth
- Common Interventions and Evidence Based Care
- Comfort Measures for Childbirth
- Communicating with Medical Care Providers and Clients Utilizing Emotional Intelligence
Bundled Online Doula Training Package Including:
Online Birth Doula Training Curriculum
- Daily/weekly Lesson Plans taught by expert doctors, nurses, midwives, dietitians and doulas.
- Assignments, tests, quizzes, and projects for each class.