Definition of a Birth Doula:
At International Doula Institute we define a birth doula as a professional support person trained in the needs of the family during pregnancy and childbirth. The doula offers non-judgmental support, guidance, evidence-based education and practical hands-on support during childbirth including comfort measures. Doula originates from the Greek word meaning woman servant. A birth doula recognizes the profound impact of childbirth on the mother.
The birth doula does not provide medical care, clinical tasks such a cervical checks or fetal heart tones and does not speak on behalf of the client.
The Professional Certified Birth Doula is trained in 5 Core Competencies:
- Physiology of Childbirth
- Common Interventions and Evidence Based Care
- Comfort Measures for Childbirth
- Communicating with Medical Care Providers and Clients Utilizing Emotional Intelligence
Bundled Online Doula Training Package Including:
Online Birth Doula Training Curriculum
- Daily/weekly Lesson Plans taught by expert doctors, nurses, midwives, dietitians and doulas.
- Assignments, tests, quizzes, and projects for each class.
Access to Doula Trainer via Phone and Email for 1 Year
Course Preview: Birth Doula Certification Program
Overview: The Birth Doula Certification Program offered by the International Doula Institute is a comprehensive and in-depth training course for individuals aspiring to become certified birth doulas. This program is meticulously designed to equip future doulas with the knowledge, skills, and confidence needed to provide exceptional support to birthing individuals and families.
Who This Course Is For:
- Aspiring Birth Doulas
- Healthcare Professionals interested in Doula Services
- Childbirth Educators
- Anyone passionate about supporting women and families through childbirth
What You Will Learn:
- Fundamentals of Doula Care: Understand the core principles of being a birth doula, including the history and philosophy of doula care.
- Anatomy and Physiology of Birth: Gain comprehensive knowledge of the childbirth process, including stages of labor and delivery.
- Emotional and Physical Support Techniques: Learn various techniques for providing emotional reassurance, physical comfort, and effective pain management strategies during labor.
- Communication and Advocacy Skills: Develop skills for effective communication with clients and healthcare professionals and learn how to advocate respectfully for clients’ birth preferences.
- Cultural Competence and Sensitivity: Understand how to provide inclusive and culturally sensitive support to a diverse clientele.
- Business and Professional Practices: Acquire knowledge on how to set up and manage a successful doula business, including marketing, client relations, and professional ethics.
- Breastfeeding Support: Understand the basics of breastfeeding support and how to assist new mothers in the early stages of feeding.
- Practical Experience: Engage in hands-on experiences through role-playing, case studies, and, where possible, attending births.
- Certification Requirements: Learn about the certification process, including attending births, client feedback, and completing an examination.
- Continued Learning and Support: Discover resources for ongoing education and professional development as a doula.
- Interactive Online Modules including readings, written assignments, videos and video responses
- Mentorship and Peer Support Networks
- Evaluation and Assessment Sessions
Key Outcomes of the Course: Upon completion, participants will be fully prepared to begin their journey as certified birth doulas. They will possess the skills to provide compassionate, knowledgeable support to birthing individuals, effectively collaborate with healthcare teams, and operate a professional doula practice.
This course is ideal for anyone looking to embark on a fulfilling career as a birth doula, offering all the tools and guidance needed to make a positive impact in the lives of birthing individuals and families.